Install Calibre in Docker (on Synology NAS)

• Thread starter Thread starter BookMan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1
  • Views Views 123

BookMan

Administrator
Founder
E-readers
PocketBook InkPad 4, PocketBook Era
First, a precaution notice from the Calibre developer: I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS?
Do not put your calibre library on a networked drive.

You have been warned, so now we can proceed, but at your own risk.

As a Synology NAS owner and enthusiast, I am naturally going to install and try Calibre in Docker. Despite the warnings, but I will take care of my library and make backups. I also run the Calibre version on my Mac.

Here is a useful resource already published where you can get support from knowledgeable users that understand Docker:

I am going to install Calibre with the LinuxServer image: https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/calibre

I will use the docker-compose in Portainer. If you need more support with Portainer or Docker on your Synology NAS, ask for support on this forum: SynoForum.com - The Unofficial Synology Forum

My docker-compose looks similar to this:
YAML:
---
services:
  calibre:
    image: lscr.io/linuxserver/calibre:latest
    container_name: calibre
    network_mode: bridge
    environment:
      - PUID=1000
      - PGID=100
      - TZ=Amsterdam/Europe
    volumes:
      - /volume1/docker/linuxserver_calibre/config:/config
      - /volume1/Calibre Library/export:/export
      - /volume1/Calibre Library/import:/import
      - /volume1/Calibre Library/ebooks:/ebooks_library
    ports:
      - 8080:8080 #app
      - 8081:8081 #server
    restart: unless-stopped

Change the PUID, PGID and TZ.

You can change local ports (the left side of :).

Volumes explanation:
I set the config folder in the docker folder. All other volumes are optional, but they are useful to me.

The main Calibre database (library with books) is located in a dedicated shared folder called Calibre Library. Inside there is a folder ebooks. In Calibre I set the Library to point to ebooks_library folder. You can rename this folder to whatever you want, but it is easier to do it when you first deploy the docker-compose. Whatever the name is, you will find it in the root folder. As outlined in the screenshot below, all three folders (ebooks_library, import, export) were created after deployment:
SCR-20240531-kvji.webp

The import folder is useful for easily importing new e-books to the Calibre library. Just upload them into the folder and set Calibre to monitor it for new content (in Calibre go to Preferences > Adding books > Automatic adding). I also mount this folder in my Mac finder for quick access.

The export folder is nice to have if you want to save books or export them from the Calibre library and save them somewhere else.

This is my preferred method of setting up Calibre, but you can do it your way.

Last edited:
Here's another useful video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create FREE account

Create a FREE account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.